I noticed that Starfield would crash periodically on my PC with an Nvidia RTX 4090 GPU. I found a fix for it that has stopped the crashing for the past 48 hours now, which involves locking the framerate.
Steps to follow:
- Launch ‘Nvidia Control Panel’ on your Windows PC
- Select ‘Manage 3D Settings’ from the left hand panel
- Choose the ‘Program Settings’ tab on the right panel/main panel
- Select ‘Starfield’ from your dropdown (I’m playing on Xbox Game Pass for PC, this may show up differently if you’re playing on Steam)
- Scroll down to ‘Max Frame Rate’
- Set this value to ‘ON’ and set the value to 60 or 120 FPS.
Restart your Starfield game. I’ve not experienced any crashes since doing this fix on my system.